Friday, October 19, 2012

Squeaky Clean

It's almost bedtime and my 2 month old needs a bath. Ewww the tub is dirty. Ugh, I can't give her a bath in this! I need to clean the tub before I give her a bath, but am leery to use the scrubbing bubbles bottle I've got in the closet.. I just don't feel comfortable sticking her in the tub right after using it. Sure, it'll get the job done, but it'll stink up the bathroom and surely there will be some residue of the chemicals in the tub, even after a good rinse. Our water drips, so there's some rust at the base as well. So I scour the internet for a more natural solution, and came up short. A lot of the diy cleaners called for borax..which I didn't have at home..and what the heck is borax anyway? After a little research, I found that it's certainly safer than scrubbing bubbles and not actually toxic, but exposure can cause respiratory and skin irritation. Uhh, no thanks!
I did finally find a solution, and was surprised at how well it worked. I really thought the toxic, nasty stuff was superior. This solution not only took the grime off with ease (with the help of a scrubbing brush), but also removed the rust and soap scum..I actually kind of think it worked better, and my baby didn't have to inhale toxic, potent fumes or have that yuck on her skin.
Here's what I used:

You'll need:
A spray bottle (it makes enough for future uses)
Vinegar
Baking soda
Water
Dish soap ( I use 7th generation as it is more natural)

Add 1 1/2 cups of water, 1/2 cup white vinegar, and a tablespoon of dish soap and put into spray bottle. (This is the solution you'll have for future uses)
Take some baking soda and spread it on the bottom of your tub. Spray enough solution on top of the baking soda to make a paste.. Scrub with a scrub brush. Rinse tub once clean.
Enjoy your clean fume and toxic-free bathroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment