Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Lunch

I've never nursed in public. I think it's perfectly acceptable, I just wasn't brave enough.
I was envious of Beyonce nursing in public, I mean she's Beyonce! She has papparazzi!!
I don't take bottles with me because I wouldn't even know what to do with them. Baby only gets bottles when I'm at work, so I can't say I've ever even prepared a bottle for her. And, what am I supposed to do anyway, walk into Kohl's and be like "excuse me, can I just plug in this bottle warmer you have on display here?"
I digress. Normally I'll stop what I'm doing when baby gets hungry, sit in the backseat of my car, and feed her, or we'll schedule things around her feeding time.
We were out to lunch today, and she started fussing. I tried rocking her and distracting her, to no avail. It was her lunch time, too.
The food was about to be out, and I really didn't want to go out in the cold car just to feed her. Bravely I say to Husband "hand me the apron!" (nursing cover) ...He looks at me like a deer in headlights and says "..here?"
"Yes, here! She's hungry, I have to feed my child" I say proudly, and then whisper to him " omg, I'm nervous, I mean, I've never done this before...."
Pictures start flashing through my head about a disgusted waitress and glaring customers that ended with us getting kicked out of the restaurant.
Baby starts eating and the waitress approaches. I hold my breath. "Would you like more salsa?" she says with a smile.
Slowly I look around the restaurant and find.....

....that no one is paying any attention to me.
I was proud of myself for doing what I find to be completely natural and beautiful, even if it did take me 3 months to build up the courage.
In the end I was upset nobody said anything ..I was so ready to chastise them with my best breastfeeding is natural!!! speech.

1 comment: