Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Caution, bottle may explode

In my quest to be greener, I came across the many benefits and uses of coconut oil (in food and cosmetics). The information is available for you on many sites and blogs, but I won't list anything I personally haven't tried myself.
One of the uses is shaving cream, so I decided to try it out.
However, first I took a look at my store-bought shaving cream and the bottle said:

"Pure and Natural"
 
"Dye and Fragrance Free"
 
"Moisturizing Eucalyptus Oil"

That doesn't sound so bad, right?
 "Caution, bottle may explode"

Wait, what?

 I decided to investigate the ingredients list a little further which you'll find at the end of this post.

Now on to the good stuff. I took some coconut oil into the shower, mixed it with water and slathered it on my legs. And then... ouch! This was like dry shaving. I sucked it up and shaved the rest of my leg, and by the time I started on my other leg, it went much smoother.
That is because coconut oil turns into a liquid at warm temperatures, so I just had to let it sit a little longer.
My legs were silky smooth when I got out and didn't have an "oily" feeling. Normally, they are so dry and itchy, but now they are baby skin smooth!  Coconut oil is also a moisturizer).
The only negative is that it really plugged up my razor and will probably make it dull quicker. But, that's a small price to pay in exchange for getting all of those toxins off my body (and the ridiculous cost of shaving cream).
I'm a coconut oil novice, but I can't wait to see what else it can do for me.


Here is the ingredient list along with what I found the effects on your body are (for the particular brand I have at home). Feel free to use the info, but please link back to me if you do.


Palmitic acid - alters central nervous system, disrupts the hormone insulin.

Triethanolamine - slight irritant, was shown to increase liver cancer in mice

Stearic acid - a fatty acid with many uses. Long exposure to large amounts increases risk of cancer.

Isopentane - Highly flammablae and volatile. Passes through skin. Can cause headache, nausea, dizziness, shortness of breath, irritate throat and lungs, drying and cracking of skin, may affect liver, heart, central nervous system.

PTFE - also used in non-stick cookware. Linked with cancer and thyroid disease.

PEG-90M and PEG-23M - little info available. Moderate organ system toxicity.

hydroxyethylcellulose - mild skin reaction.

Sorbitol - Ingesting causes multiple problems, couldn't find info for topical effects.

Isobutane - "generally recognized as safe"

Lavandula and Eucalyptus oil - lavender and eucalyptus oil .. I'm guessing not in their natural form.


And I've been putting this on my skin. Scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment