Sunday, January 20, 2013

Halfway there

To my three loyal readers (hi mom!), don't worry, I haven't forgotten about you!! Life's just been busy, that's all.
We're halfway done with our paleo-ish diet!! I can't believe we've stuck with it for two weeks already!! It hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be until a couple of days ago, right before the half-way mark. But, only two more weeks to go! I  can do this. The hardest thing in the beginning was figuring out what to eat. Now I don't even meal plan anymore. I stick some sort of vegetable with a meat, and we have a meal. Not much to it when you can't use half the ingredients in the pantry. I haven't missed bread or rice or potatoes as much as I thought I would, which is interesting considering I lived off that stuff.
The most surprising aspect of this has been the hunger. That was one of my main concerns in the beginning because I've always associated it as diet = hunger.
But I can eat one small meal a day along with breakfast and a snack and be totally fine! Full, even.
There have been some recipes I've tried that have worked, others were mediocre, and one was so terrible that I could barely get through it. (paleo-leans or whatever you call yourselves, you've royally screwed up "meatza")
I have lost some weight, although for me this journey has been more about cutting out processed foods than weight loss, and Husband wants to wait the full month before weighing himself.
All in all, what I learned is that it's super easy to "cut the crap" so to say, and I will continue to cook like this even after our diet is over.
Will I ever eat a grain again?
Please, if you know me at all, you know I can't stay away from a warm baked potato topped with melty butter and sour cream.
But I saw a quote the other day that struck me:
 
"It's not what you do some of the time, it's what you do most of the time."

If I apply that to food, I'll have a good base for healthy eating without having to torture myself watching other people eat cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment